Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Well, It's September....where did summer go?

Brief recap of the past few months.
We finally closed on our house, and moved out of the apartment.
While I enjoyed the apartment, and our landlords were pretty cool, it's even better having our own place.

It's a cute little house, on a quiet street, and it's in really good shape.
There will still be plenty of projects to keep me busy. More on that later.

First and foremost I want to get back in the habit of writing and taking pictures.
I suppose technically this is a public blog, but I'm pretty sure it's just me reading these diary like entries, and that's how they'll stay.

I had a terrible day at work, and couldn't wait to get home to my liquor cabinet.
Choices choices.....
I ended up with the Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1.


It's got a major bite to it, which I like, and tastes of creamed corn.
I like it straight, with maybe a few drops of water, or an ice cube if I plan on drinking it quickly.
Tonight it's straight, and I finished the bottle.
I am so hardcore.


September is apparently Bourbon Heritage Month, so I may have to take advantage of that and have a few extra cool night drinks this month.


Patrick has grad-class tonight (he had the summer off) so it's my girly night of whatever I want for dinner.
I'm doing roasted Brussels sprouts (favorite food ever!) and a stuffed Portobella mushroom. I'm also making an ear of corn though that may end up being breakfast instead...

I'm trying the mushroom two ways since it's something I'd like to make for Pat, but I'm not sure which way he'd like best.
My two-for mushroom features ricotta cheese, and one side topped with spinach and tomatoes, the other side with tomatoes and pepperoni. I'm attempting a pizza like mushroom, and a lasagna type mushroom.
I used ricotta on both because it's delicious. I also only wanted to open one type of cheese tonight.

Oven Picture!


Behold its messy glory!

I made a sriracha-mayo dipping sauce for the Brussels sprouts, which turned out well.
I've made chipotle mayo before, and while I liked the chipotle more, I always have sriracha on hand, so it's more convenient!


Every part of the mushroom was delicious! My favorite was the side with the spinach and tomato, but I'm sure Patrick will enjoy the pepperoni option. They crisped up nicely.


I could probably use sauce, but we had this bowl full of heirloom cherry tomatoes from my Mom's garden. Who could resist an amazing explosive little warm tomato? Not me!

I ended up needing something a bit more drinkable to go with dinner, so I had a bottle of Southern Tier Brewing Company's Harvest Ale. It's that time of year that all these harvest or Octoberfest beers come out. I enjoy them the entire time they're available!


Now it's time for a little couch time. I've got big plans of curling up with Half Life 2, and possibly a book if I get tired of shooting things!

Cheers!

Stuffed Portobella Mushroom for One
Ingredients:
-One large Portobella mushroom cap
-1/4 Cup ricotta cheese (with seasonings mixed in if you like. I added a little salt, pepper, basil and crushed red pepper flakes)
-Tomatoes or tomato sauce
-Fresh spinach leaves
-Pepperoni (optional...ok, most everything in this list is optional! Put whatever you want on it!)

Preheat oven to 425. Set mushroom cap gill side down in a small baking dish. Add about a tablespoon of water to help it juice up. Cook for 5 minutes, and then flip it gill side up. Cook another 5 minutes.
*Some recipes call to remove the gills and entire stem. I didn't bother. The stem was small, and I hate giving up any of that delicious mushroom.
Remove the oven and dish from the oven.
Top the mushroom with ricotta cheese. Smush the tomatoes into the cheese. (If using sauce, you may want this layer directly on the mushroom to allow the cheese to hold it together). Top with spinach and pepperoni.
Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until tomatoes are hot, and cheese is set.



No comments:

Post a Comment