Thursday, September 5, 2013

Devil's Food Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream!

We live across the street from a elementary/middle school.
Today was the first day of classes, and it was a flurry of activity for a few hours this morning.
I would have had a difficult time getting out of the driveway, so I decided to stay in and bake cupcakes!



Devil's Food Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream!

I had been thinking about chocolate and caramel cupcakes for a few weeks, but the temperature refused to go below 80 for any length of time. Not optimal baking weather.

This morning it was a crisp 55 degrees and I decided to go for it.

I used a basic Devil's food cake recipe from my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.
This is it here.

 I filled the cupcake liners half full, and then added a caramel to the center.
They sink a little on their own, don't push them down, or you'll end up with caramel stuck to the bottom of your cupcake liner.



Once they were done and cool, I frosted them with a fluffy buttercream with caramel flavor.



I wish I had some chocolate sprinkles to top them with, but white sprinkles and sugar crystals look pretty too.

Fluffy Caramel Buttercream Frosting

1/2 Cup butter at room temperature (2 sticks)
4.5 Cups of confectioners sugar
5 Tbs milk
2 tsp caramel extract.

Beat butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Do this for about 5 minutes!
Don't cheat! Let the air get in there or it won't be fluffy.

Add sugar about a cup at a time.
You can also add the caramel extract and milk at this stage.
I added it as needed with the sugar so it didn't get too hard to mix.
You can alter the amount of milk to get the consistency you want.

Add frosting to a piping bag with your choice of tip.
I used a 2D for this look.



Pipe it on once the cupcakes are totally cool.
Sprinkle with fun things!
Let cupcakes sit, or chill briefly to set the icing



I found the caramel center to be a bit too chewy to go with the cake, so I may change things up next time.
It was a delicious combination of flavors, and the frosting was exactly what I wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment