Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Roasted Veggies: Leeks, Brussel Sprouts, Delicata Squash

It's Wednesday again, and that means girly dinner!
I really enjoy these evenings that Pat is in class.
When he's home, I feel more pressure to make a well rounded meat and potato focused dinner.
He's come a long way since we've been together.
He's learned to tolerate my "side dish" (meaning vegetarian) dinners.
Despite this, I enjoy trying new things the first few times for just me.
Roasted veggies happen to be my most favorite food ever.
They're candy good!




Today at Wegmans, I spotted Delicata squash.


I'd never had it before, but it was described as being rich and nutty, similar to butternut.
Butternut has always been my favorite squash, so I was definitely willing to try this.
It's a much smaller squash which is also a good thing since it's always just me eating the squash.
Pat just hasn't come around to squash.
Delicata is also a squash that you don't have to peel.
The rind is edible!!!
That is one of the most annoying parts of other squash!

I also decided to make leeks since I've eaten them many times, but never actually made them myself.
I will tell you right now.
Degritting them is a pain in the ass.
How does that much sand and dirt manage to get between ever layer?
EVERY LAYER!
I soaked them, I washed them, I scrubbed them.
I was wet and irritated by the time they went on the baking sheet with the squash.
Wet and irritated....like a cat! Don't make a cat wet, and then irritate it. Bad things happen!




Everything turned out well.
The leaks were delicious, but still a total pain.
Use a serrated knife, my steak knife was just not cutting it (Hah! Get it?? Cutting it!).



The squash was actually pretty amazing.
It reminded me of a sweet potato.
I ate them like fries, even dipping a few in ketchup!
This will be something I make again.
Pat may be able to eat these since ketchup could be involved...


Roasted Veggies:

Preheat oven to 420ish, 400 is probably fine, so is 425. This is where my finger stopped pushing the up arrow on the heat button for the oven.

Rinse the Brussel sprouts.
Cut in half. Toss in a roasting pan with a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Boom. That part is done.

Cut the rooty part, and dark green leaves of the leeks off.
Remove the dirt and sand. Maybe you have some better way of doing it than I.
If not, prepare yourself to soak, rinse and scrub for several minutes.
Place on an edged baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.


Scrub the squash.
Cut it in half by length and scoop out the seeds.
Discard, or clean and roast these too!
I threw them out.
I was too wet and irritated like a cat to rinse any slime off of seeds.
Cut into one inch sections. They should resemble frowns, or smiles if you aren't wet and irritated yet.
Place on an edged baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. (about a tablespoon. they can get soggy if you use too much)



Place everything in the oven, and roast for about 35 minutes.
Flip the squash periodically to ensure even browning.



Mustard Vinaigrette

1 Tbs Olive Oil
1.5 tsp vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp herb blend (I used Penzeys Parisien Bonnes Herbes)
Whisk together everything in a small bowl.
Drizzle over the leaks and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment