Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Leftovers with garlic shrimp and soft boiled egg

Just a brief post about how good the leftover Quinoa salad was from last night.
Read about the health benefits of Quinoa here.

I jazzed it up by adding a soft boiled egg, and some garlic shrimp.
The whole thing took about ten minutes!
This was a perfect meal after a very involving day at work.

Blood Orange Quinoa Salad with Soft Boiled Egg and Garlic Shrimp

Fancy has a grad class tonight which means a few hours to myself.
My plan tonight is to catch up on some magazines that I've falling behind on.
Exciting, I know.

I also plan on watching some bad television or a movie while sipping a nice bourbon.
I'm starting with Hoarding: Buried Alive, transitioning to Skyfall (I may be a bit obsessed with this movie currently.) while sipping on Elmer T. Lee bourbon.

The Elmer T Lee has a bit more bite (higher alcohol content, and you can feel it) and warmth than a lot of the whiskeys I've been drinking. It has the caramel and vanilla that a lot of bourbon drinkers like with a bit of spice and some butter to it as well. Read someone's professional review here.

Since Hoarding was too gross to watch, and I do have such a guilty pleasure for action movies that I went straight to Skyfall.

Elmer T. Lee Bourbon

Notice the lack of ice? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. People get pretty snooty about these kinds of things. I think you should just drink what you like, the way you like. If it's summer and I'll be drinking it quickly, I've been known to add an ice cube. Generally I'll add two drops of water to help bring out the oils and scents. Again, this is just a peculiarity of mine. Tonight I added nothing!

I feel a little guilty drinking bourbon since it's so close to St. Patrick's day. I do so love Irish Whiskey (there's a bottle of Red Breast 15 year sitting on the shelf next to the bourbon) for it's cleaner taste, but the extra warmth and complexity of a bourbon sounded perfect for magazines and movies.

I think Fancy is a pretty lucky guy. He has a pretty girl who loves to cook, drink bourbon and loathes romantic comedies. Yep. He's a lucky guy.

Enough blogging and on with my evening!

Garlic Shrimp

15-20 medium shrimp
1 tbs butter
1 clove of garlic
juice from half a lemon

Peel and devein shrimp.
(I prefer the small to medium for most dishes. I like them to be bite sized)
Melt 1 tbs of butter in a medium sauce pan.
Add garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant (about 2 minutes)
Add shrimp and toss until cooked. (about 5 minutes) 
Remove from heat.
Squeeze lemon over the top and toss to coat.

Soft boiled egg

Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
Add the egg to boiling water.
Boil for 6 minutes.
Remove from heat and immediately immerse in cold water.
Peel egg and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment