Friday, March 22, 2013

Kiwi Ice Cream

Tuesday was a pretty laid back day. There are things I should have done, but I didn't feel much pressure to do them. I have the best boyfriend/fiance (getting married in less than 2 weeks!) who actually encourages me to sleep in a be lazy. What a guy.
This is what spring looks like.

Fancy wanted ribs for dinner, and since we had a bottle of barbeque sauce (where did that come from?) hanging around, I decided to toss them in the crock pot. I sliced an onion and layered it at the bottom and set the ribs on that. Covered them in the barbeque sauce, and set it to low. It's been about 4 hours, and they already smell great.

I wanted to do a couple of veggie sides to go with it. Our local grocery store had asparagus on sale, so that's one of them. I'm also thinking spinach for the bitter taste to balance out the sweet sauce on the ribs. I picked up an Italian bread while I was out as well. Dinner is done? Well, that was easy.

Since I had some extra time I decided to make something out of kiwi since it's Fancy's favorite fruit. I toyed with the idea of a kiwi gelatin, but in the end went with a kiwi ice cream. I cooked down four peeled kiwi fruits and mashed them into a puree. I added about a tablespoon of St. Germain liqueur. It's a liqueur made from elderflowers. It's floral and lovely and just right.



After adding the kiwi puree to the sweet cream base of the ice cream, I decided it wasn't "kiwi" enough. So i mashed up two more kiwi (total of 6 now) and added them to the mix.


While doing this, I sipped on a beer. I've loved everything I've had from Founders, but this one is probably my favorite right now.


It's a very well balanced beer. I love hoppy beers, but they're my favorite when they're balanced with some malt. This was a winner.

The ice cream turned out really well. Even after being in the freezer for a day it didn't really get super hard. It eats more like a soft serve. This could be due to the uncooked Kiwi, or the alcohol. I'm not sure which. In the summer, maybe I'll try it again.

It's officially spring, but you'd never know it here in WNY. How about some snow and ice cream pictures?





Kiwi Ice Cream

6 Kiwi fruit
1 Tbs St Germain Liqueur (optional, but oh so good!)
2 Eggs
1 Cup of Sugar
2 Cups of Heavy Cream

Peel and slice kiwi and put in a medium sauce pan with a lid.*
Add a little water (2 Tbs or so) and cook them until they are soft.
Mash or blend and allow to cool completely.
Add the St Germain Liqueur and stir to blend.

*Remember, I only cooked 4 of them. Play around to get the flavor and texture you want.

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Whisk in the sugar until completely blended, about 2 minutes more.
Add the cream and whisk until blended and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes
Stir in the kiwi puree.

Add this to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes about 1 quart.


No comments:

Post a Comment